Sunday, November 23, 2014

The track season begins (sort of) and Moneyball slices up Machete

Track

It has been a very busy week in the track and field world.

Most notably the early singing period ended Wednesday.  We are currently preparing a press release so since it’s not out yet I’m not allowed to make public comment about our signees.  We're very excited about the recruiting class so far and look forward to adding more quality young men and women when the next signing period begins in April.

My sprint/hurdle group has continued to progress nicely.  So far we have avoided significant injuries this fall and look to be in good condition heading into our winter break.

Intersquad begins

While the top distance runners in the nation were out in Terre Haute, IN, for the NCAA Cross Country Championships, we were back in Wichita getting our competitive track and field season underway (sort of).
Breanne Borman

In two weeks we have our annual Intersquad Meet but this weekend we had our Intersquad Multi-events competition.  There were some really good scores for being this early in the season and I know Coach Rainbolt is very excited about how it has gone.  We had three girls score over 3600 points led by Breanne Borman who scored a meet record 3817 points.  Our ladies have a very strong group right now and we could see multiple Shockers at the NCAA Championships indoor or outdoor.  Our guys, who are still very young, will finish on Monday and they are performing well also.

The rest of the Intersquad Meet will be on Friday, December 5 at the Heskett Center.

Time flies when you’re having fun

It’s hard to believe the semester is almost over.  Our kids will be heading home for Thanksgiving this week and they will be taking finals in a couple weeks.  And as quick at the first semester goes by, the spring will fly by even quicker.

Even though the competitive part of our season is full of travel and stress, it’s also full of excitement and accomplishments.  I am very excited for this season to begin!

Inspirational video

Sometimes I try to find videos to show our athletes in an effort to inspire and this week I came across this terrific story about a distance runner from North Carolina.  It is well worth 12 minutes of your time. VIDEO - CATCHING KAYLA

“M” Movies

This is the 13th of a 24 part series (if I don’t bore you all to death) where I list movies I own by letter (I don’t have any movies that begin with Q, X or Z but I do have some that start with numbers).  I currently own a small collection of 170 movies (and growing most weeks) on DVD.

Most of the movies I own I had previously seen and enjoyed immensely.  Some are movies that I had not seen but was curious about.  Some were gifts from people with bad tastes in movies.

I own 10 “M” movies and there are some of my favorites here so here is the list from best to worst …..

Movie Name (year made, length, MPAA rating, IMDB rating, Worldwide box office)

Moneyball (2011, 133 min, PG-13, 7.6, $110m) – One of my all-time favorite movies!  One reason I like this movie so much is because it’s very entertaining and well done but mostly because I can relate to it because of the job I do in athletics.  Brad Pitt plays Billy Beane, the Oakland A’s general manager who comes up with a new way to find baseball players with less money than everyone else.  It’s based on the great book of the same name by Michael Lewis.  Often I find myself in the same situation as Beane, trying to figure out a way to beat the big boys with fewer resources.  Loved it!

Machete (2010, 105 min, R, 6.7, $44m) – The original reason I was interested in this movie is because I happened to be staying in a hotel in Austin, TX, across the street from where it was filmed.  So when I saw it come out in theaters I made sure to see it and immediately loved it.  Danny Trejo plays Machete, an ex-Federal agent from Mexico who singlehandedly attempts to mess up all the bad guys’ plans.  I love that Trejo is the main character in a movie filled with stars like Robert Deniro, Jessica Alba and Steven Segal.  It’s full of cartoonish violence but also very tongue and cheek funny.  It also stars Michelle Rodriguez – I have a celebrity crush on her.  Great little movie, check it out!

Million Dollar Baby (2004, 132 min, PG-13, $216m) – Another one of Clint Eastwood’s great films also stars Hillary Swank and Morgan Freeman in the world of women’s boxing.  This movie is cut into two distinctive parts and if you’ve seen it then you know what the two parts are.  It’s a beautifully done film that is inspiring, touching and in the end very thought provoking.  I love a movie that make you sit and talk about it with your friends after it’s over just to get their opinion on the subject matter involved.  What would you do if you were in Eastwood’s same situation?

Major League (1989, 107 min, R, 7.2, $49m) – I remember watching this movie in high school and laughing at all the crazy characters it had.  They really got lucky with some of the casting for this movie in getting actors like Charlie Sheen, Wesley Snipes and Rene Russo, who were young but very popular.  This movie follows a fictional year for the downtrodden Cleveland Indians who are owned by a former stripper when her husband-owner passes away before the year.  Great movie, hilarious baseball comedy, lots of swearing – all in all one of my favorite sports movies of all time.

More Than a Game (2008, 105 min, PG, 7.6, $960k) – A very good documentary about Lebron James and his high school days.  I really enjoyed this movie and felt a little more connected since I worked at Kent State (just a few miles from where Lebron went to HS) during the time chronicled.  I saw Lebron play several times in high school and was always impressed with his unselfishness.  This movie does a good job of showing he was just a pretty normal, yet really talented kid who blossomed into a great player and role model.

Martyrs (2008, 99 min, R, 7.1, $??) – You’ve probably never heard of this movie and I hadn’t either until I got in a phase of wanting to see movies that freaked me out.  This movie starts out as a normal horror movie then goes to a very, very dark place.  One of the most disturbing movies I’ve ever seen, yet it was so well done I can’t help but like and respect it for what it is.  I would not recommend this movie for the faint of heart but I would recommend it for moviegoers who want a unique viewing experience.

Metropolis (1927, 153 min, NR, 8.3, $1.2m) – I started reading about this movie years ago online and I finally bought it after hearing they found several missing parts of the film almost 75 years after it was originally released.  The story behind this movie is fascinating but there’s no way I can do it justice here so I advise to go online and read about it yourself.  As for the movie, it’s a silent picture about a futuristic city.  Watching it now and thinking about the vision the makers had 87 years ago is incredible.  Sometimes they’ll play this movie on AMC and if you have a chance make sure to watch it!

Mystic River (2003, 138 min, R, 8.0, $156m) – Another very good Clint Eastwood movie that has probably been overshadowed by films like Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino.  This one stars Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon about three friends that come together when one of them loses a daughter.  It’s been a while since I’ve watched this movie but I do remember it being very good and liking the story.  I might have to try and watch it again sometime.

Machete Kills (2013, 107 min, R, 5.7, $15m) – When Machete had moderate success on a low budget, the powers that be decided to make a sequel and unfortunately like many sequels it doesn’t quite match up.  The same over the top violence and humor are in this movie and it’s filled with cameos by stars like Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen and Lady Gaga, but it doesn’t have the originality of Machete.  I still enjoyed it though, but I don’t think the third movie Machete Kills Again …. In Space will ever get made.

The Monuments Men (2014, 118 min, PG-13, 6.1, $154m) – I really wanted to like this movie because it had some great actors (George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman) and an interesting story (a World War II platoon tries to rescue art masterpieces from the Nazi’s) but it just never really took off.  It wasn’t a bad movie and I’ll probably watch it again someday but it was definitely underwhelming for all the talent that was on the screen.

I would say all 10 of these movies are watchable but the top-8 are all VERY good - hard to go wrong with anything on this list.

Next week

I plan to eat a lot of turkey!

Oh and I have 6 “N” movies including one of my favorite movies of all time and one of my favorite bad movies ever!


Until then, thanks for reading and Go Shocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment