Sunday, January 10, 2016

Track is underway, Kansas rivalry renewed this week and oh my Bengals

The track season is underway!

Wichita State Track & Field got the season started Saturday as we traveled up to Kansas St for the Wildcat Invitational.  I would say about half or slightly less of the teams in the country opened up this weekend.  We used to wait one more week but because of our meet next week (see below) we have started earlier the past two years.

As with all season openers we had some good, some average and some bad – and probably evenly split between those three.  We’ve had four days of practice and there is a lot of rust to shake off after three or four weeks of kids training on their own.  I think you especially see this in the technical events where athletes aren’t able to work on those events over the break as much (as well as not having coaching).

But overall I think we were pretty happy with it.  Most of the MVC didn’t compete this week so we’ll know a little more about our team and the conference after next week.

Second Annual WSU-KU-KSU Triangular

Friday we will head to Lawrence, KS, for a battle with our in-state Division I rivals.  Last year was the first time we’ve ever been able to get this meet together (K-State won at home, we were second).  Next year we will host this meet at the Heskett Center!

We basically play by Big 12 rules for this meet.  26 athletes per gender compete in the Big 12 Indoor Championship events (except 5k and multi).  That means events like the 600 yards and 1000 meters are contested besides the regular NCAA events.  That probably puts us at a slight disadvantage but we still feel like we have a chance to compete well.

We will probably be without Nikki Larch-Miller this weekend, who is getting back to being healthy after a minor injury.  But even without NLM we should be strong in all the events.  It’s so early in the season that it’s hard to prognosticate a team score.  KU and K-St hasn’t competed much either so we don’t know what they have.  Our goal will be to win the meet and we hope a lot of Shocker fans will be there to cheer us on Friday evening!

Shocker Prelude

The next day we will be hosting the Shocker Prelude where the rest of our team (and some from Friday as well) will compete in a scored meet with D2 schools Emporia St, Oklahoma Baptist and Angelo St as well as NAIA Friends University from across town.  This should also be a fun meet to see some of our developing athletes run to the front and gain confidence.

Last week we got the season started but this week we really get our team going.

Oh my Bengals

Most of you know that I grew up near Cincinnati and, thus, I’m a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals.  And I’m sure most of you saw the debacle at the end of the game where they lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs.  Years ago I made sure to emotionally detach myself from the outcome of games I’m not actually a part of so, while a devastating loss, I am largely unaffected today.  Many of my Facebook and Twitter friends seem to be largely affected.  To all of them, they don’t pay you any money to play so don’t get so upset.  I agree it was a terrible way to lose but if it you watched it like a movie or a Broadway play then you would’ve been very entertained!

However, you better believe I’ll be talking about it with the kids I coach in how to handle (or not handle) adversity when it comes in the most important times.

Movies!!!

It’s been a while since I’ve chatted about movies and I’ve seen a few recently.  Here are my thoughts on what I’ve seen since Thanksgiving …..

The first one I saw wasn’t actually a movie but a musical called The Book of Mormon.  It’s one of the most successful Broadway musicals of all time so I thought I would see what all the fuss was about when it came to Wichita.  My opinion?  Awesome.  I’ve been to a few musicals in my life and, while impressed with the singing and show, I wasn’t always entertained.  But with The Book of Mormon I was entertained throughout.  Without going into detail about it, basically it makes fun of the Mormon religion, and to an extent, all organized religion.  I’m not sensitive to crass humor so I found it hilarious.  Being in Wichita I’m sure a few in the conservative crowd may have been offended, but even still it was very well done and, most importantly, entertaining the whole time.  10/10

Next I saw the movie Creed, which is the seventh installment of the Rocky series.  This time it went a little different route to follow the illegitimate child of Apollo Creed from the first four Rocky movies.  I wasn’t sure if this new path in the series would be successful but it was!  Rocky becomes the trainer for young Creed and helps him through the lower ranks of boxing until the ultimate final big-time fight.  It was also financially successful so I’m sure there will be a Creed 2 coming out again in the future.  8/10

Around Christmas I saw the movie Trumbo in small art house theater in Cincinnati.  It’s the story of Dalton Trumbo (played by Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad fame), who was Hollywood’s top screenwriter until he and his fellow artists were jailed for being communists.  First off, it was a good movie.  It was fascinating how this true story played out in a time just after WWII.  Secondly, no matter your political beliefs you should try to find this movie since freedom of speech is such an important part of our country’s fabric.  8/10

Around New Year’s I saw The Big Short, which was about the housing market collapse of the mid-2000s.  Starring big names like Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling and Christian Bale, I thought it was a pretty good movie.  A person who understands finance might not have been lost at all but it lost me from time to time for that reason.  Nevertheless, it was still really good and helped explain what happened to our economy in 2008.  An interesting tidbit is that it was written and directed by Adam McKay, who is more known for Anchorman, Step Brothers and Saturday Night Live.  I wouldn’t consider it a comedy but it had enough humor to keep it going through the more complex financial scenes.  7/10

The last movie I saw was Concussion starring Will Smith as a Nigerian doctor who discovers significant brain issues with former NFL players and then fights to have his research heard by the NFL.  While a bit slow in parts, I still liked this movie overall.  It was set in Pittsburgh and used named and video of real NFL players so it gave it a legitimate feel.  It’s a hard topic to explain but I thought they did it pretty well.  I feel terrible for what head injuries have done to these former players and hopefully this movie helps the sport to become safer.  Unfortunately I don’t see that happening unless the rules of the sport are changed dramatically.  Our heads just weren’t made to bang together at high speeds.  7/10

Next time

I’m sure there will be a lot to talk about with the Kansas Triangular and Shocker Prelude.

Until then, thank you for reading and Go Shocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment