Sunday, January 29, 2017

People that inspire me - John Hetzendorf

There are 48 weeks left in the year and once a week I will write about someone in my life that is inspiring or motivating to me.  Hopefully others will read it and gain a little bit of inspiration in their life as well.  There is no particular order to these writings, just a bunch of people I am fortunate enough to know.  So without further ado ….

Inspirational person #3 of 50 – John Hetzendorf

In the past two weeks I’ve written about my best friend and then one of my best athletes.  This week we switch gears to a former teammate and co-worker John Hetzendorf, known by most affectionately as “Dorf”.

I was in my third year of college at Kent State when Dorf joined our team – ironically at the same exact time Steve Rainbolt became the head coach at Kent State.  Both Dorf and Bolt stayed at Kent for five years then made the move to Wichita in 2000 where they have both been coaches ever since – 22 consecutive years.  I’ve been part of that group on and off for 16 years.

Dorf at the 2005 World Championships in Finland
Dorf had a long and very successful athletic career throwing the Javelin.  As a youngster he made the World Junior Championships.  In college he was a multiple time all-American and should be inducted into the Kent State Hall of Fame someday.  As a post collegian he made it to three Olympic Trials and ultimately represented the USA in the 2005 World Outdoor Championships in Helsinki, Finland.  All this while being a full-time throws coach for WSU.  Simply remarkable.

To know Dorf in passing is really not to know Dorf because he’s usually quiet and very humble.  I’ve told him to brag about his athletic achievements more during recruiting but it’s not in his personality.  As an athlete and as a coach he’s always gone about his business his own way and largely out of the spotlight.  A biology major in college, he’s probably the smartest guy in our office in terms of figuring out training programs and bouncing ideas off to help better any aspect of the team.  He can talk just as intelligently about distance running or sprinting as he can about the throwing events.  He’s always been a team player and one of the guys you want on your side when headed into battle.

Recently his world has changed as he married Amber a couple years ago, had their first child (Jack) last year and turned 40 this week.  So I was curious what some of the following answers would be …

I asked Dorf five questions, here are his responses …

Question 1:  Now that you’re 40, what advice would you give the 15 year old version of yourself?
Dorf:  Ask more questions! Even if I thought I had things figured out... ask questions to be a better learner. Don't be afraid to ask questions.  People often don't want to look dumb or look like what we don't know what's going on.  But when we feel that way that is exactly when we need to ask questions.  At 15 I didn't want to look dumb so I never asked questions I should have asked! 

Question 2:  Where is the best place you’ve ever traveled and why?
Dorf:  I don't have just one. In 1996 I competed in the World Junior Champs in Sydney, Australia... the Aussies are a laid back fun loving group of people. They were very welcoming and made sure you had a good time!!!

Cinque Terre, Italy, maybe the most beautiful place I have ever seen! Google it! ;) It's basically 5 sleepy fishing villages on the Mediterranean with amazing food, coffee and hiking!! 

Eugene, Oregon, it's the one place where a track coach or track athlete feels like a rock star!   Also great place to be outside!! The ocean, mountains and forest are all close by.  I also meet my wife there!!!  ;)

Paris... amazing vibe you need experience it to get it.  Food, history, art... and nice people. I know everyone says Parisians are rude.  But as a Parisian bartender told me Paris may have more assholes but there are assholes everywhere.

Question 3:  Now that you have a child, what one thing would you change about society that may affect him in the future
Dorf:  - you had to go there... haha
Well the biggest thing for me is eliminate: whining, finger pointing, and a lack of personal responsibility... I feel like our society has moved toward people whining about their problems pointing their finger and blaming someone else, instead of taking responsibility for their lot in life.  I think social media has made it way too easy to whine and blame someone else for your problems or whatever else that bothers us!!  Just look at the political environment today, I don't care who you voted for or if you are left or right. All I know is both sides are pointing fingers at the other side.  I would love for that to change!! I would love for society step up and take responsibility for themselves.  I want people to say hey I may not like what's going on or what my life has become but I can handle it I will find a way to make it better rather than point fingers or expect someone else to fix it.  I could do a better job of this myself! I'm trying to be better.

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame someone else." Steve Prefontaine

Question 4:  What drove you to be better at Javelin throwing throughout your long career?
Dorf:  The biggest thing is I loved throwing the javelin and I truly got a rush from throwing. I'm not talking about throwing far or PRs. I found it amazingly satisfying to just flight a javelin and watch it fly.  The other thing throwing did for me is it gave each and every day a purpose. Everyday was a new opportunity to figure out how to get better to work harder to improve myself. That process really drove me. 

Question 5:  Who inspires you and why?
Dorf:  Well my parents were the first.  My Mom was an activity director at a nursing home.  I watched her bring joy to the residents and she truly cared and loved them.  She brought happiness to a place that most people thought was depressing.  My dad worked as a machinist and a foreman and eventually a plant manager, he always took great pride in his work and did the best job he could. And he treated the work he loved and the work he hated the same, just did the best he could.  He always strove to do the best job he could.  Other than my parents I'm inspired by anyone who overcomes the odds, or just overcomes struggles, injuries, etc.  The underdog inspires me. The overachiever!!! 

Final thoughts … Why do I choose to have John Hetzendorf in my life?

I could sit here and write countless stories that involved me and Dorf.  From back in college where he lost a fight to a recliner, to the night he said he threw 400 meters in the Javelin, to our common love of annoying Coach Yost in the office or the multiple adventures at NASCAR races in Kansas City.  Everyone has memorable stories that include Dorf but I remember something that happened that probably resulted in him getting the throws coaching job at Wichita State.

I was in my second year on the staff at Kent State, which was Dorf’s senior year.  After being a multiple time all-American in previous years, he was having major struggles in his final few meets.  After struggling through the MAC Championships, and not placing as high as he was projected, he walked up the stands in Buffalo’s stadium straight up to Bolt (I was standing next to Bolt at the time) and apologized for not getting it done for what we had projected and that he was very sorry.  As he walked away Bolt turned to me and said, “That’s a really good guy right there.”  We went on to win our first MAC Championship in 25 years for Kent State that weekend and Dorf was a big part of it.  A couple months later Bolt was named the head coach at WSU and hired Dorf right out of college with no experience.  For a young college person to own up to his disappointment and to talk to the head coach like that said all you need to know about John Hetzendorf.  As long as I’ve known him he’s always been honest, loyal and dependable.  Now in his 17th year at Wichita State it is obvious he has been the same way throughout his coaching career.  His athletes consistently love and respect him because “Dorf is just Dorf” all the time.


Coach Rainbolt gets a lot of attention for turning the Wichita State program into a consistent winner (and deservedly so) but all along the way John Hetzendorf has been there, quietly working away in his office or out in the solitude of the throws field and I hope everyone realizes how important he is to the program at WSU and to his co-workers in the office.  Thanks Dorf!

No comments:

Post a Comment