Sunday, November 7, 2021

How much do I actually travel? And a look ahead at upcoming videos

Since I started posting weekly travel videos on my YouTube channel, I often get asked how I can travel so much while still having a full-time job.

I really wish I could say I go somewhere every weekend to explore new and exciting places, but in reality, I don’t. But when I do travel, I try to do it in a way to have multiple videos when I return.

For example, this summer I took 12 days of vacation and drove from Canada to Mexico on US 89. I knew I could make videos about the 5 states I would drive through (Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Arizona), but along the way I ended up taking some sides trips that will eventually yield 7 more videos. So those 12 days gave me 12 videos (and 12 weeks of videos as I release one per week). I recently did the same thing on a 3-day trip around Oklahoma that will give me 7 more videos.

Because I get so busy with my real job, I have to store a bunch of videos like this to get me through times I can’t make videos. Right now, I have enough in my phone to be able to release a new video every week until March – even if I don’t take another trip until then. The track and field season gets REALLY busy, so I have to work ahead to meet my weekly goal. I will probably try to do something over the holiday season that will help me get through the rest of the spring.

I’m no expert on this stuff, but I’ve been trying to release videos from different parts of the country each week. One week is Montana, the next is Colorado, then back to Kansas, and so on. Hopefully that is interesting for others to follow in case they aren’t interested in a series of videos about one specific part of the country.

Starting this YouTube channel has been a lot of fun. I always talk to my mentor Curt Rierson about the process. I am closing in on the magical 1000 subscribers where YouTube starts paying you (pennies I assume). I continue to make videos that I find interesting and am not interested in doing ones that just get viewership or subscribers. Hopefully with that method I get people to follow that are genuinely interested in the same things as me – and that seems to slowly be the case.

If you’ve made it this far and must be weirdly interested in this stuff (like me), here is a sneak peek of the videos I am planning to release in the coming weeks and months. Thanks to you diehards for the support!

--Arizona ghost towns – Tombstone, Fairbank

--Top-10 smallest towns in Oklahoma

--Utah ghost towns – Thistle, Bullion City, Johnson Canyon movie set

--Oklahoma ghost towns Route 66 – Texola, Hext, Foss

--Kansas ghost towns – Geary City, Doniphan, Kickapoo City, Hickory Point

--Montana ghost towns – Laurin, Alder, Nevada City, Virginia City

--Signs of Route 66

--Oklahoma ghost towns No Man’s Land – Kenton, Beer City, Gate

--Arizona ghost towns – Gray Mountain, Two Guns, Twin Arrows

--Pratt, Kansas – drone tour

--Montana ghost towns – Fort Shaw, Old Chico, Aldridge, Jardine

--Oklahoma ghost towns – May, Lenora, Cloud Chief

--Twin Bridges, Montana, abandoned orphanage

--Holton, Kansas – drone tour

--Ohio ghost towns – Spann, Lucy Run, Elk Lick

--Oklahoma ghost towns – Centralia, Whizbang, Skedee, Blackburn

--Oklahoma ghost towns – Shamrock, Fallis, Ingalls, Ingersoll

I have already filmed all of these (some as far back as June) and just need to edit and release them. I also have 20+ more ideas of videos I would like to make but haven’t been able to film yet. I’m sure I will do some more filming in the coming months, but hopefully this gives everyone an idea of the process I’m going through to meet my goal of a weekly video. I’m going to try and keep doing it as long as it remains fun!

Thanks again for the support! If you know anyone who is interested in these types of videos, send them a link tomy channel!

Happy travels!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment