Sunday, February 8, 2015

Notre Dame yields fast times, the MVC race heats up and James Franco cuts off his arm

Even though we had a few Shockers competing this weekend, I had a rare weekend off.  That gave me plenty of time to look at the MVC race, play golf and catch a cold!

Fast times at Notre Dame

Last week I mentioned how some of our top distance runners didn’t compete at UNI to prepare for the Notre Dame Invitational and the resulting performances were impressive indeed.

Notre Dame’s oversized track is made for running fast times and this meet is a dream for anyone wanting to run a PR.  They put together several sections of distance races, many with rabbits, and all you have to do is let the pack pull you around (and be in tip top shape haha).

Our ladies were solid but our guys were particularly impressive running off times of 1:51 in the 800m, 4:05 in the Mile and 14:25 in the 5000m.

Now onto our final “team” meet of the year before the MVC Indoor Championships …

Herm Wilson Invitational Preview

Next Saturday (is there a better way to spend Valentine’s Day), we will be hosting the Herm Wilson Invitational, named after the former Wichita State head coach who led the Shockers to prominence in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.  We will have a scored meet against UT-Arlington, Oral Roberts and Emporia State.

UT-Arlington will provide the most competition in the team race as we will try to improve on our #16 rankings for both the men and women in the latest National Dual Meet Rankings.  It will also be our final home indoor meet as we start looking closely towards the MVC Indoor Championships at the end of February.

We expect a large crowd Saturday so come out and enjoy the meet!  If you can’t make it in person be sure to catch the live video through GoShockers.com.

How does the MVC look?

The MVC championship picture is beginning to take shape now that most of the league’s distance runners have raced in their primary events.  Every week I take a close look at the MVC performance lists on TFRRS and track how the competition is doing.  Here’s how it looks as of now:

The men’s meet should be a battle between as many as four teams.  I think that Wichita State and Indiana State will probably be voted by the coaches as the favorites but I think Loyola and Southern Illinois have a chance at the title too.  What you can’t tell by looking at the lists are what events will the coaches enter their top athletes in while searching for the most points.  The coaches at all of these schools will no doubt be trying to figure that out in the coming weeks.

On the women’s side I think it’s going to come down to three teams:  Wichita State, Indiana State and Southern Illinois.  On paper we appear to have a small lead but we’re trying to overcome some injuries and won’t know what kind of team we’ll have until we start competing in the championships.  We have several ladies that are competing well though, and are excited about the opportunity they have at UNI.

The “Garth Brooks of Wichita”

Since I had a weekend off I got the chance to go out and see former Shocker Javelin thrower Adam Capps play a concert on the west side of Wichita Saturday night.  The reason I made the Garth Brooks reference above is that Brooks threw the Javelin for Oklahoma State while in college before hitting it big on the country music scene.  While Adam was a better thrower than Garth, he is a tiny bit behind in the music department.  He did a great job and we had lots of fun, here is a link to a new song he wrote that I think is very good.

“Number” Movies

This is the final of a 24 part series (well not quite, you get one more bonus next week) where I list movies I own by letter (I don’t have any movies that begin with Q, X or Z but I do have some that start with numbers).  I currently own a small collection of 179 movies (and growing most weeks) on DVD.

Most of the movies I own I had previously seen and enjoyed immensely.  Some are movies that I had not seen but was curious about.  Some were gifts from people with bad tastes in movies.

I own three movies that begin with a number so here they are from best to worst …..

Movie Name (year made, length, MPAA rating, IMDB rating, Worldwide box office)

127 Hours (2010, 94 min, R, 7.7, $60m) – This movie, that is based on a true story, stars James Franco as an adventurer who gets trapped under a boulder while climbing through a canyon in Utah.  Basically his arm get caught between two rocks and the movie deals with his desperation and if he’s going to cut his arm off to survive.  It’s a very intense movie and very well done.  It really makes you think what the human body is capable of when it comes down to survival.  Franco is great, I highly recommend this movie!

8 Seconds (1994, 105 min, PG-13, 6.4, $19m) – A very likeable movie about the life of Lane Frost, a Bull Riding World Champion in the 1980’s.  I remember the first time I went to see this movie I was a little skeptical because Luke Perry was playing Frost and Stephen Baldwin was playing Tuff Hedeman – not exactly the two actors you would think of for these roles.  But to my surprise they did a really good job.  I’m sure they added some typical Hollywood drama to the story to make it more interesting but even with that I found myself intrigued by the lifestyle of these cowboys and the rough times it created for their families. 

15 Minutes of Fame (2008, 89 min, NR, PG-13, 6.4, $??) – I spent $5 on this movie as a joke because the cover was the fakest and cheapest movie cover I’ve ever seen (see right).  This movie is a coming of age story about two guys who ….. well I don’t really know what happens.  This movie was so bad that it took me about 15 minutes of boredom before I turned it off.

Next week

I will be back to talk about the Herm Wilson Invitational as well as one final bonus section about the movies I own on VHS!  That should be interesting.

Until then, thanks for reading and Go Shocks!


No comments:

Post a Comment