Sunday, August 29, 2021

One of my videos got chosen for a film festival! Here's the story ...

My video of the smallest towns in Kansas got picked to be in the No Coast Film Festival on September 18, in Emporia, Kansas.

I can’t believe it either haha.

It wouldn’t have happened without my buddy Curt Rierson (WSUtv) encouraging me to submit it to the Tallgrass Film Festival.  There is a website to use to submit your film to a variety of festivals around the world and when I went on there to submit it to Tallgrass, I noticed the No Coast Film Festival up the road in Emporia.  I thought, what the heck, might as well submit it there too.


I haven’t heard back from Tallgrass and wasn’t expecting to hear back from No Coast either.  The NCCF is a festival of 88 short films (less than 30 minutes) that will play over 3 days (Sept 17-19) in the historic Emporia Granada Theater.  Mine will be playing on Saturday at 12:49pm as part of 10 films in the documentary category.  It is slated to go after a film about the struggles of a young garter snake and right before a film about pollution in Iran.

Needless to say, I will be out of my element.  But I am certainly honored to have been chosen to be part of the festival!

Most of the other 87 films being shown are by real filmmakers.  Me, on the other hand, filmed and edited everything on my phone.  A lot of these other films had a budget.  My budget was whatever gas money cost and one night in a shady hotel in the middle of Kansas.  I’m sure most of these filmmakers have their movies secured in a safe place to keep anything from happening to it.  In my wisdom, I purposely deleted the original off my phone to make room to film my summer road trip and had to download it off YouTube just to submit it to the festival for the final showing.

I tried really hard when I was working on this video and my main goal was to hope if someone from one of these small towns saw it, they would be appreciative.  I think that goal was attained.  However, I never imagined my face might be on the big screen for 24 minutes.  Not excited about THAT.  I think most people probably watch my videos on their phone or a laptop … alone.  I’m not sure what it will be like to watch it with a theater full of people expecting to be entertained. 

I plan to spend the entire weekend in Emporia taking in all aspects of the festival from the Friday night social/mixer with other filmmakers to the awards ceremony on Sunday night.  There is a (very) good chance this will be the only film festival I am ever part of, so I want to soak it all in.  I think I will try to document it and make a YouTube video of the experience.  I’m sure it will yield plenty of comedy at my expense.

If you want to know more about the festival check it out here: https://www.nocoastfilmfest.com/

And if you don’t have anything to do on September 18 at 12:49pm, I would appreciate you stopping by Emporia to take in the show and laughing loudly at anything remotely funny and giving it a standing ovation afterwards (just kidding).  After the documentaries are over, I will buy everyone a drink at the nearest watering hole!

Thanks again to the staff of the No Coast Film Festival for allowing a track coach with a passion for traveling into your world.  Proud and excited to be part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment