Sunday, January 19, 2014

Season opener, ups and down, and I love Moneyball

It’s been a very busy week (in a good way) so I don’t have much outside of track to talk about …

Track
A lot has happened in the past seven days with Wichita State Track &Field.  Our athletes returned to campus, we had our first official week of practice in 2014 and we had our first track meet of the indoor season.

As I had mentioned previously, the coaching staff always gets a little nervous wondering how our athletes train over the winter break because of how short the indoor season is once they get back (we have our MVC Championship meet in 5 weeks).  I have the athletes I coach keep a daily journal of their training.  This helps for a few reasons:  1) It keeps them focused and being more of a student of their event through daily discipline of writing a journal and analyzing their training.  2) I collect them every few weeks and it helps me understand how they’re feeling and thinking – sometimes the athletes don’t always communicate little injuries or other things that could be bothering them.  It’s very helpful when they come back from the break so I can see exactly how their training went while away.  I always tell the athletes to be as honest as possible, even if it means writing that they missed a workout, so we can adjust training if necessary to avoid injuries.

Tuesday was our first real tough speed endurance workout after the break and I’d say it went decent.  There were some really great workouts and some workouts that didn’t go so well.  That’s usually the case and this break we had several kids who missed training because of a variety of sicknesses.  The effort was good, however, and all we can do is try to improve every week from here on out.

We hosted our season opener on Friday and Saturday (Herm Wilson Invitational).  As with all track meets, especially season openers, there were lots of good and lots of areas that need work.  I would say the bright spot was the overall performance of our men’s team.  We know we have a good men’s team this year but until you start seeing actual performances in a meet you aren’t 100% for sure.  We had real good results from our upperclassmen as well as some surprisingly positive results from the freshmen.  What was even better was that a couple of our new January transfers really competed well and it looks like they will give us that extra boost we need.  Two new athletes, Ugis Jocis from Latvia and Dave Brandhoff from The Netherlands, won the mile (4:15) and high jump (6-11.75), respectively.  I was very proud of freshmen Tate Annis (200m) and Jon Duvall (60h, 200m) for having great performances as freshmen.  Your first collegiate competition can be a humbling experience and these 4 athletes started their careers with doing some humbling of their own!

As for our women’s team, we knew that losing some of last year’s seniors was going to be tough to replace.  After the meet we now have an even clearer picture of how thin a margin of error we have.  We definitely have some very talented young ladies but we will need to get much better to be a factor against Southern Illinois, Indiana State and the rest of the MVC in 5 weeks.  Hopefully our next meet at Nebraska this weekend will be a positive step towards that result.

For the last several years we have gone to the University of Nebraska for our 2nd indoor meet of the year.  We have a great relationship with their coaches and appreciate them inviting us every year.  This year we will be competing against Nebraska, Oral Roberts and UT-Arlington in a scored quad meet.  Nebraska has a great track and field program and although we’ve been close, we’ve never beat them on their home track.  We’ve also never lost to UT-Arlington or Oral Roberts since I’ve been here (2006).  It should be a good meet at a great facility with good competition!

Having a home meet is always great, but hosting the meet takes a lot of work by a lot of people.  Sometimes when I meet someone for the first time and they find out I’m a college track coach I often get the question, “So what else do you do besides coach track?”  What a lot of people don’t realize is how much work goes in to recruiting, hosting home competitions, administrative duties and so on.  A couple years ago I detailed what a week in my life is like during May.  I warn you it’s a very long blog but it will give you an idea of what a 97 hour work week looks like (and I didn’t do anything else besides track haha).  Here is the link to that story.

Recruiting is also in full swing right now and most of the rest of my weekend has been busy with that.  We only have a couple weeks left until the beginning of our signing period so we are busy getting recruits in and trying to convince them to be Shockers!  We only graduate 7 women this year (out of 65) but we plan on signing around 15 men and 15 women.  Currently we have about 6 women already committed along with a couple guys.  I really wish I could go into more detail about recruiting because I think it’s an interesting thing to learn about but NCAA rules prohibit me to publicly give a lot of detail.  One thing is for sure - recruiting never stops!

Movies
Due to the business of the week I did not see any movies.  In fact I barely watched television or surfed the Internet for non-work related items.  I’ve heard really good things about Lone Survivor, the Mark Wahlberg war movie but I probably won’t be able to see that for a while.  The only other movie that looks interesting to me is Her, starring Joaquin Phoenix about a guy who falls in love with the operating system of his phone/computer.  Obviously this is set in the future but I can imagine not too far into the future with the way technology is taking over our lives.

DVD Choice of the Week (from my personal collection):  Moneyball (2011) starring Brad Pitt.  I really like this movie and I like the book even more.  It’s about how the Oakland A’s changed their philosophy (and the rest of baseball followed eventually) by utilizing complex baseball statistics to compete with a smaller budget against much bigger budget professional baseball teams.  This movie appeals to me for a variety of reasons.  I’ve always been a sports stat geek.  As a kid the first thing I read with regularity was box scores in the Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper and eventually I would do all kinds of stats for any sport I was interested in or playing.  I even had my parents keeping stats during my elementary age baseball and basketball games before we got a video camera and I then could do them myself at home after the game.  It also appeals to me for the behind the scenes aspect of what it takes to build a team.  This is what I love about college track and field – building a team and seeing them become successful.  While Billy Beane has a budget he has to stay within, we have scholarship limits to stay within and you’re always negotiating with athletes, trying to figure out what is the proper worth of each one in terms of trying to build a championship team.  If I ever get tired of being a track coach (which will never happen) I’m gonna try my hand at being a general manager of a professional team.  The book is better than the movie but the movie is very good – check it out!

Everything Else
Since this week was pretty much totally about track and field there wasn’t much time for anything else.  I have to mention the Shocker Basketball squad who is currently 19-0 and ranked 5th in the nation (soon to be 4th this week).  I am so fortunate to be working at Wichita State during this special time.  I know the basketball coaches and how hard they work so I’m very happy for them and the players.  Our track kids are friends with most of the basketball players too so it’s fun to see them excited and have so much school spirit for Wichita State.  I was also lucky enough to be coaching at Kent State in 2002 when they won 26 games in a row and came within a breath of the Final Four.  I guess that’s my good luck for being at two schools that either have no football team or a historically bad football team. Ha!

I saw that my Bengals lost both their offensive and defensive coordinators to NFL head coaching positions so hopefully they can recover from that.  I’ve always liked Mike Zimmer (Bengals defensive coordinator and new Vikings head coach).  He’s a straight shooter that gets a lot of respect from his players.  His clips from the HBO series Hard Knocks were the best part of the show for me.  Who-Dey!  Congrats to my 2nd favorite team, the Seattle Seahawks for earning a trip to the Super Bowl.  I really like Peyton Manning so hopefully that will be a great game in a blizzard in NYC!

Here’s an example of how busy this week was.  I did a load of laundry on Wednesday and as I am typing this on Sunday evening it is still sitting in the dryer.  Totally forgot they were in there.  Anyone know a good maid service?


Website of the Week
In keeping with the sports statistics topic, this website, which is actually seven websites, is a stat lovers dream.  It’s as complete a database of statistics on professional, college, and Olympic sports as I’ve found on the Internet.  It isn’t very difficult to waste several hours just clicking on page after page of stats and information.  And the cool thing was it was started by a fellow stat geek because of his passion and it has grown into one of the most impressive websites I’ve ever seen.  Another thing I love about it is that it is almost totally text based without pictures, videos, etc to slow down your viewing speed!

Interesting articles and other things to waste some time with




No comments:

Post a Comment