Sunday, January 5, 2014

World Records, Comedians in Cars, and Oooh My Bengals

I would like to thank everyone who has given me positive responses about this blog.  I’m able to track how many people read it and honestly I’m amazed at the large number of folks surfing over to this site.  Thank you and I will try to keep it going as the busy track season begins!

I’m also going to change the format just a bit and put my thoughts into different sections (Track, Movies, Everything Else, Website of the Week, Interesting Articles).  Feel free to skip to whatever is interesting, you won’t hurt my feelings if you don’t read the whole thing.

Track
As you can probably imagine it’s been another quiet week since we didn’t have official practice.  I did see several Shockers at the Heskett Center Thursday who were doing their workouts on their own.  Like I have mentioned previously, this is a stressful time of the year for coaches because it’s been so long since we’ve had practice and once we get going we have only about 6 weeks until our MVC Indoor Championships.  We still have another week until we have official practice but I assume we’ll see most of our team back this week doing their workouts.  Hopefully everyone is getting healthy and mentally ready for the next 5-6 months of competition!

We are less than two weeks away from our season opener and I think I speak for almost everyone when I say I can’t wait to get going!!!

I’m on the board of directors for the Shocker Track Club (STC), a local non-profit organization that helps us get officials
for our meets as well as operating a Youth, Masters, and Elite team (you can check out Shockertrackclub.com for more
information), and they hosted a Youth/Open/Master’s meet on Saturday at the Heskett Center.  It was quite an affair
with athletes from several states, including as far away as New Mexico and Minnesota.  The highlight of the meet was watching 76 year old Bob Lida, who lives in Wichita, break his age group World Record in the 60m dash with a time of 8.44!  He also barely missed the 200m record by a tenth of a second.  There were athletes over the age of 80 all the way down to 6 years old at this meet and it makes me realize how special our sport can be. These athletes are ALL out there for the love of the sport and competition.  After being at our national convention last week and talking about all the problems our sport has, it’s nice to be reminded of why I got started in the first place.

Movies
After seeing several movies last week I was not able to get to any this week for various reasons.  There are plenty of choices out there so hopefully I will see one or two in the next few days.

DVD choice of the week:  I have to begin this with what is probably my all-time favorite movie, Up In The Air (2009), starring George Clooney.  Actually, Clooney grew up just across the Ohio River from where I grew up and it’s been fun watching the “hometown guy” grow into such a megastar.  Anyways back to the movie, if you haven’t seen it, I would try to see it as soon as possible.  It’s funny, thought provoking, and full of surprises.  As a single guy with no kids I personally can relate to Clooney’s character like none other I’ve seen in cinema before.  Best line of the movie is, “How much did they pay you to give up on your dreams.”  There are a few people I know that don’t like this movie because of how it ends (I won’t spoil it) but I’ve always been a fan of movies that don’t go for the easy way out.  A+, 10/10, Four Stars, anything that says awesome is how I feel about this movie.

Everything Else
I was lucky enough to have a great New Year’s celebration with a large group of people from the Wichita State athletic department.  Usually us track coaches socialize with our own and aren’t able to get out and about with other coaches and department folks but New Year’s was a great time full of fun, food and spirits!  I played a game called Cards Against Humanity which was completely inappropriate.  I would recommend it highly, haha.

As I am writing this I have conflicting emotions because, simultaneously, I was watching my hometown Bengals implode in the NFL playoffs while watching my current hometown Shockers blowout conference rival Northern Iowa.  I decided to do a Billy Beane from Moneyball and work out the entire 2nd half on the treadmill while watching the games.  I liken it to coaching both men and women at the MVC Championships when we win one title and lose the other.  It’s the most amazing combination of mixed emotions I’ve ever felt.  How to you act happy and disappointed at the same time?  I’ve never been able to figure it out.  Luckily, WSU Track & Field is the only team I’m emotionally involved with so I’m already over the Bengals loss and thank them for the entertainment this year.

However, I can relate to what those coaches and athletes must feel.  I have a lot of respect for people like Bengals coach Marvin Lewis and quarterback Andy Dalton, they will be killed by the media for a long time and what the media doesn’t always realize it how hard it is to win a game against a team full of professionals that are trying to accomplish the same feat.  I really can’t stand the negativity the media and fans spew after games like that and I pretty much totally ignore reading articles or watching tv that is associated with that kind of attitude after a tough loss.  I hope Lewis, Dalton, and the rest of the Bengals do the same.  It’s only a game folks, it’s meant to be enjoyed.

Website of the Week
If you know me then you know I’ve always been a huge fan of Seinfeld (Happy Festivus!).  So when Jerry and the gang ended their run of brilliance in 1998, so did a large part of my television viewing enjoyment.  Luckily a couple years ago Seinfeld started this great online show where he rides around in a weird car and then drinks coffee with another stand up comedian.  This week he chose Louie CK, who is also one of my favorites.  If you haven’t been on the site before you can view all of the previous episodes, I recommend watching all of them!

Interesting Articles

Hope you enjoy!  See you all next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment